Thursday, March 22, 2012

Lord of the Rings, Maori fried bread, and hot springs in New Zealand

Hobbits and Hot Springs

It’s kiwi (the fruit) season! Though I suppose in a joking manner I could also be referring to the human variety.

Ripe kiwis, (Ha!) or any food for that matter which develops on the vine is just sensational and bursting with flavour!

NZ has this little fruit called “feijoa” which is also quite tasty. Apparently it only grows here.

Maori culture is alive and strong. Absolutely amazing warrior people!

Jade
Rotoura is one of the two main areas in New Zealand where you can see master artists plying their trade (in the flesh).  Who knew there were so many different types of jade? The intricate carvings all represent different meanings such as protection, healing, unity, fertility etc. Amazing to see pieces coming to life right before your eyes!

Hot Springs
I’m in the Rotorua region currently and am surrounded by hot springs and pools of varying temperatures in which to relax. Even the parks have little areas where wooden seats have been built on top of the ground around the pool so folks can comfortably sit down and soak their feet. I love it. There is nothing quite like a hot soak, loaded with good for you minerals and having that delicious heat seep deep into your bones… into your very marrow. Ahhhhhh….soooo SO good.  That’s the look on everyone’s faces as they sit there happily enjoying their little moment of heaven.




 

Attila enjoying the hot springs foot soak. Every park should have one of these.

Farkas Attila interju Uj Zelandrol. Katinson ide

Farkas Yvette interju Uj Zelandrol. Katinson ide.

BTW… here is a little bit of trivia for you; did you know that Hungary has more natural springs and healing, mineral rich waters (amount per area/within a certain distance) than any other place on earth? Even Japan, Iceland and NZ can’t compare. Under Budapest and surrounds there are hundreds and hundreds of aquifers and hot springs and lakes bubbling forth… which is interesting as the country has very little actual above ground water. Just three tiny lakes and two main rivers. But we sure DO love our water, which is why we pump a lot of the underground variety to the surface for use in bathhouses. No wonder Magyars are quite fond of their mineral baths and soaks, AND any activity that involves water.  They tend to do well at the Olympics in the water sports.





Attila was visiting briefly. (My youngest brother… not the Hun… though he enjoys referring to himself that way)

We spent three days travelling around together which was very nice. He is flying back to OZ today. He is quite sad that his Australian visa is up in two weeks so he has to go back. I will be staying on for a few more months.

On the weekend there was a fabulous market with local artisans and food stalls with all kinds of local foods being cooked up. I had the traditional Maori fried bread. Fried... I know... but OMG it was so good! I actually went back for another piece but sadly, they had sold out. Folks, if you should find yourselves in this lovely country, make sure to get freshly fried up fried bread. You won't be sorry. Your body might be sorry but every other part of you will be very happy.





L.O.T.R fans…. Eat your hearts out!
The parts of the Lord of the Rings series which took place in the Shire, the hobbit homes and the Party Tree were all filmed here in the Rotorua region. I was hanging out in those houses earlier… definitely NOT made for tall people. Lol.  Hobbits are very spirited and happy folks.







The New Zealand stereotype is fairly accurate. Lots of sheep. They were cute. I fed a few, as did Attila.  They made him giggle. That was cute too, which then made me giggle.


Naturally, the black sheep recognized me instantly and lept over for me to feed her. Sigh... what does that say about me...?  Should I be worried when even the "black sheep" of the animal kingdom seek out my company?

Isn't this the sweetest sheep you've ever seeen?  I'm sweet and innocent and wonderful. Yeeeaaaahhh.
(Sweet and innocent and dear... just like Yvette.)

I was on the lookout for Elves the whole time… hoping to meet some of Legolas’ friends. I keep checking out the elusive Elves’ favourite spots, but they seem to be…. well… elusive. Hmmm…. well, maybe I’m not quite ready for an interspecies relationship yet. Bloody humans! They’ve ruined me!! Gaahh!


Wait… I think I see an Elf! Gotta go!
Yvette

ps. To view more photos, click here.

No comments: