Thursday, March 01, 2012

Kevin Trudeau, Simon Borg-Olivier, Bondi beach, Kermit the Frog and aliens in Australia

G'day!
Last night I met Kevin Trudeau. I remember reading his book, Natural Cures, the first week it came out. I thought it was interesting when he pointed out that a lot of what was in the book are things that the medical profession don’t necessarily want common citizens to know about.
As I have a strong belief in an open medical system, informed and educated decision making processes and the importance of true transparency, I was glad to see there was yet another person who was actually calling out the white elephant in the room. Which really, is such an old and tired argument anyhow. So it was very nice to meet him in person.

The monorail system is both underground, and aboveground.
You are just a few feet away from the train going past.

My new friend Poh Lin, who is a friend of Ruth and Carlos` invited me at the spur of the moment the night before to a GIN meeting. She is fantastic! I really connected with her and am grateful to the universe for lining up such a wonderful "crossing of paths" with her.  And also grateful to both Poh Lin and I for recognizing and taking that opportunity when it presented itself.

Poh Lin worked in the corporate field for years and has decided she is going to follow her dreams and get involved in the fashion industry, along with photography and travel. Now there’s a departure from accounting! Lol. Isn't that simply fantastic?!  I love nothing more that people realigning with their Spirit and finding ways to express their passions in ways they find meaningful, and soulfully nourishing.
Poh Lin is also on this path of metaphysics and the exploration of consciousness… using the tools learned on that path to make positive and powerful changes in her life. We had a fantastic conversation… Abraham Hicks, David Wilcocks, focused intention, the zeitgeist movement stuff, manifestation, moving from the third into the fifth dimension etc. Before she left for the evening she told me about this group of folks whose mandate is to share this information with the goal of improving people’s lives. It’s MLM based so I did have a little hesitation at first but thought… “well, you have really good energy and I’m open to hearing about new things.... but it does sound a bit like Amway.”
But since you never know who you will meet right around the corner, or what opportunity presents itself, I decided to go. Honestly though, it was Poh Lin's wonderful energy that just clicked and felt right so I went even though I wasn't too sure about it.
It turned out there is nothing to sell. It’s really is about members helping each other out in mentorship based relationships or straight up connections to resources you may need to progress in your business goals or personal interests. That I like. You also have the opportunity to connect people with each other and help them achieve their goals. That I also like. As it is based on the spiritual principals that ring true for me, I was interested. Check out the website if you like, and don’t let the flashy corporate representation turn you off.
I told Poh Lin before I left the meeting that I’d see her again in two years in a place with snow capped mountains in the background. I kept getting this image and sense of time in regards to our next “crossing of paths.” We shall see… lol.
My friend Ruth, with whom I have been staying, has been taking yoga classes with an instructor by the name of Simon Borg-Olivier. Last week I decided to go and check it out myself as the information I had read on him online thus far, and Ruth’s high praise of him piqued my interest.

Simon IS a great instructor. More than that, he is a very genuine, down to earth and practical person. He is not a “flaky spiritual type.” He is also very particular about doing things properly so that you can have a lifelong practice without injuries. He knows his anatomy inside and out and explained the subtlest of movements brilliantly! I actually had an “aha” moment in his class regarding a particularly subtle movement which makes all the difference in the world for your lower back. I have often found that my lower back becomes inflamed and unhappy even when I am super careful with my asanas. I now understand what I’ve been doing that has caused this and what I need to do to prevent further problems. Isn’t that fantastic?! I can’t wait to share this with my fellow Sivananda instructors so that they too, can benefit from this minor adjustment to their practice and pass it on to their students.
After my last class with him, I had a lovely conversation with Simon about martial arts, yoga, healing, coming from the center/hara/dan tien, pranayama, and even the differences between internal and external martial arts training… beyond the superficial aspects. You know the story… “one is meditation, qi gong or energy based and the other about physical movements, weapons training etc.” This is a very basic, simplistic and superficial explanation of the differences between the two. It’s all in the breath baby! It’s all in the breath.
I really enjoyed our chat and found myself thinking how great it would be to do some training with him. If I was staying in Australia, I would do his apprenticeship for teacher training.
As a gift to his “new international friend,” he gave me a DVD and a detailed outline of the entire air flow sequence. Amazing! As in TCM, his sequences are based on the five elements, are seasonal, and in tune with energy flow. It is truly excellent! Check out the website for more information.

Attila and I with our feet in the sand.

"Wish you were here."

"Wish you were here."

Attila and I went to Bondi beach one day. It was very nice. Kind of like a very small version of Wasaga beach in Ontario. It was raining and chilly in the morning, so when we got to the actual beach, I lay down on my sarong still wearing my jacket. It was so relaxing listening to the waves coming in that I ended up falling into a light sleep. When I woke up the sun was out and it was pretty hot.
My dear brother, (you are SO lucky I love you…) decided to take a photo of me lying on the beach in my jacket while others around us were dying of heat in their little beach wear. He then proceeded to post it on his FB page. Gee thanks. You know how much I love FB… and how I treasure my privacy…

You know, the nice thing about getting older is that it is inversely proportional to your vanity. Five years ago I would have been far too vain to allow this picture to exist. Yep... I would have burned it... and hunted down the individual responsible for taking it. But lucky for my brother, looking like a beached whale doesn't bug me anymore. There is definitely something to be said for "letting go" as you age. (NOT to be confused with `letting oneself go`.)  And thank God for that!  I just don't have the energy anymore. However, I still feel that God will punish him for taking such an incredibly unflattering image. You know the saying... God does not hit with a stick. Dear little bro', your stick is 'a-comin'!

I must admit the photo is totally hilarious though. Every time I see it I burst out laughing. It’s just too funny. Luckily, I had the foresight to cover my head with my umbrella in case I did fall asleep. (And to hide my shame… apparently Attila was very embarrassed to be seen next to such a weirdo)
You know, for someone who claims to have no interest in yoga, he sure does a lot of it. I am constantly being asked to photograph him doing all kinds of asanas. I’ve added not one, but two to this blog for your viewing pleasure… and as proof that he does do yoga! Ha! Lol.

"I can't stand yoga. I don't do yoga.... so.. um... Yvette... (dear sister...) can you teach me to do the crow?"  Brother dearest you doth protest too much...  but ok.  I promise not to tell everyone you do yoga in secret. lol

Excellent little bro` - not that you`ve got the crow, let`s work on the variations!  "What do you mean variations? I can barely do this one!"


There is a Hungarian saying which states: “God does not beat with a stick.” (Isten nem ver bottal) Here’s your stick little bro; unlike myself, who covered up and used an umbrella, Attila, on the other hand, who also managed to fall asleep at some point, woke up to being burned to a crisp and having ridiculous tan lines. We had to go and get aloe vera for him. Next time you see him… you may not recognize him. He’ll be the purple and red crab looking person cringing every time he moves. Yeah… God does not beat with a stick… he/she is way more creative than that. Still, it sucks to be burned and in pain, luckily, he will heal himself quickly.
The week before, I met up with two new friends. One I met at the ranch (Selene, a girl from Italy) and the other at Ku-Ring-Gai National Park (Kerrylin from Adelaide). Selene happens to be in Sydney right now so we met up in Newtown which is where I am staying with Ruth and Carlos. She took me to see the Enmore Theatre which is a really amazing and apparently incredibly famous old world theatre. Can you believe Marilyn Manson is playing there on the 29th? Attila is very keen to go and being a good older sister, I’ll probably accompany him… you know… just to make sure he doesn’t get into any trouble...

Apparently the Zanzibar has franchised.
Still, she ain't no Filmores. Ha!

A few days later Selene and I decided to go to the Hara Krishna temple/restaurant/theatre. Yes, you read that right… it’s not just a temple with the option to share a meal… in Sydney, they have a whole building with lounge futon chairs in the theatre on the third floor, (you remove your shoes and actually lie down to watch the movie… now that’s luxury!) a vegetarian restaurant on the second floor and a proper meditation hall on the main floor. Very well done. Lovely people and energy. Though the movie we watched was not very sattvic. “We need to talk about Kevin” was the film we saw. We probably should have chosen a more uplifting movie. Ah well… it was an interesting experience nonetheless.
Prior to meeting up, Attila and I hung out. We went to the area around Oxford Street which turned out to be Sydney’s equivalent to Toronto’s Church Street, but much larger. We shared a meal together and then met up with Selene. Attila decided that the Hara Krishna temple was not for him (Really? I’m shocked.) so he took off not too long before the film started.

Oh....my....gawddd.... is that a Krispy Kreme I spy?
Yesssssss! There IS a god!

We got out around 11:30pm and since it was such a lovely night I decided to walk back to Central Station (think Union station in Toronto). It was a good opportunity to see some of the night life, so I went around different corners, followed music to it’s source a few times and peered around various buildings to their back lots and walked through train tracks etc. I found it to be very tame (even at midnight!) as establishments shut down around 11pm here. Strange that they do that. However, I am sure there is a lot going on which is not perceptible to the casual observer. Lol. On average though, there was a lot of the same sort of thing you’d expect in and around Church in Toronto. I mean really, every major city has the same vibes…. you’ve got the local China Town, the Gay Village, the Business district, the hippie areas with all the natural food markets, the tourist attractions, the art scene etc.


Aliens are coming... "actually, they're already here. They are known as Magyars."
This was a statement given by a prominent physicist who won the Nobel Peace Prize.
I may not be an expert in physics, but I have it on pretty good authority that there is some truth to his statement.  My friends would undoubtedly agree.


I’ve been venturing out through the back alleys a lot, especially in Newtown and Glebe where there is some truly fantastic graffiti and wall murals. Newtown especially is very much like Kensington Market but on a much larger scale. The sheer amount of mural art is phenomenal. There is even a real Banksy! It’s an artist community with a plethora of music stores, record shops, various art shops, all kinds of book stores, magazine shops and art supply stores as well. Theatres, cafes, and street performers are found here showcasing their talents. Ruth and Carlos live on a quiet side street away from the main which is King Street.

The street my friends live on.  Graff and murals EVERYWHERE!

So charming... very old world European. (The hot countries, anyhow.)
The other day I walked out to Glebe and met up with Kerrylin, who I met at the National Park six weeks ago. She moved to Sydney from Adelaide to study holistic skin care at a college in the local area. This woman is inspiring. She is in her forties, decided to completely change her life around and have a fresh start. She is following her dreams of working in a natural environment doing something she loves. Taking a big chance on this new path, she sold her home in Adelaide, left a relationship which was no longer healthy and decided it was time to do what was right for her. Good for her!
Back at the National Park when we first talked about it, she was quite nervous about going back to school, having to learn new things, being surrounded by young people and not feeling very confident using a computer. We had a few good chats, I lent her copies of my Abraham files and several other recordings which I though she might find useful and inspiring. She did, it seems.
Kerrylin told me after her first week of classes and orientation that although it will be a lot of hard work, she feels good about things and is looking forward to enjoying the creating of this wonderful new life. I’m pleased for her.

In Glebe, we went to the famous Glebe Markets, which are outdoors and have all kinds of artisans showcasing their work as well as many different food stalls. It’s a bit like the markets at Harbourfront in the summertime. There was even a Hungarian food stall selling kurtos! I would have bought one simply out of nostalgia, but when I saw the price I decided this was a good time to separate emotion from action and not indulge. Thankfully, I am pretty good at this. Geminis are masers of compartmentalization.

Oh my God I've found Kermit! People! Call off the search! I have Kermit! I have Kermit!
Now if only I could remember the name of the pig who is in love with him I could let her know he's ok.
Poor guy, what an ordeal it must have been to be frognapped.
Luckily, I know a great amphibiatrist who will be able to help him cope and reintegrate into society.


Staying with Ruth and Carlos has been absolutely incredible! They have made me feel completely at home and welcomed. They have put their heart out to help me get the most out of my stay, enjoy Australia and meet new people. They work during the day so we meet up in the mornings and evenings. Most days I work until about noon doing book stuff, web stuff and personal creative project stuff, then I head out to meet up with friends around the city or just explore on my own. Evenings I usually make dinner for all of us and then we hang out and chat, go to yoga, etc.

Carlos and Ruth also make lots of amazing food so each day I’ve been eating like a King. In fact, my entire time here, I have been eating the most amazing fruits, vegetables, homemade lunches and dinners, meeting lovely people, having fabulous conversations, learning new skills, taking lots of photos, and waking up no later than 6am.

Even if I was one of those people who liked to sleep in it isn’t possible because the lorikeets and kookaburrows are such loud birds that even with the windows closed tightly, their ratchety LOUD voices boom through the house waking up anyone who has the audacity to still be asleep! Lol.
By the way, I found yellow peppers finally! Yaaaayyy! About a year ago I started having crazy intense cravings for yellow peppers, known as capsicums in Australia. For some reason they are not popular here so quite difficult to obtain. The other day I found a place that orders them from time to time. I bought the whole shelf full. The cashier was a little surprised when I brought up 12 peppers (that’s all they had) and then proceeded to ask when their next shipment was due… and would you please contact me when you get more in? lol. Crazy, I know, but yellow peppers seem to work really well for my system these days. I could live on them for weeks and not eat anything else.

Have you heard of a fruit called achacha? It is about the size of a small egg, oval shaped with an orange skin you peel. It is a stone fruit whose flesh is the consistency of a banana yet tastes like a mandarin. It’s a very interesting combination. Attila scoured the city to find some so we could try it. He managed to get a hold of a few at the Sydney market. It is very yummy whose flavour reminds me of monkroot/mangosteen. Also very tasty. I ate them all the time I was in Thailand… along with durian which is to die for it is SO good. Achacha is a delectable Asian fruit I will now add to my diet. Thanks Kacsa!

Achacha anyone?

Be warned, if you show up to my place with durian in one hand and ice wine in the other, you will be in my good books FOREVER! Heck, I might even fall in love with you at that point, especially if you are a good storyteller...I am, a gemini after all... we all like a good tale. Smoked salmon and fresh crepes with fruit, real maple syrup and nutella are other deadly items which quickly lead to my weak spots and possible downfall. Geez... I'm such a guy... the way to my good side is through my stomach. lol.
Ruth and Carlos recently got married and are now both working hard to create a life which reflects what is dear to them, allowing for creative expression and the chance to share with others. Ruth has been teaching English for a very long time and is ready for a chance. When I first met her in Barcelona in 2005, she had already been teaching for years at that point. She is now thinking of becoming a yoga instructor and coupling that with a healing modality such as shiatsu. I’m very excited for her because just talking about it lights up her whole being – she is obviously well suited for these activities and I have no doubt she will be an amazing teacher and practitioner. She is also exploring other creative avenues such as acting which is great – she is putting herself out of her comfort zone and allowing opportunities for growth. Really, really amazing!
Carlos is amazing! He left a prestigious job in Spain (he worked for the top production company in the country) and came here on a hunch. He followed his gut instincts even though he had no real explanation for why he should come to Australia.
Once here, he decided to learn English. Now here comes the fabulous love story; Ruth was his English teacher! She must have been quite a motivating force because his command of the English language in just over a year is absolutely phenomenal! He has a big heart, and is very genuine and down to earth. He absolutely adores Ruth and goes out of his way to make her happy. She does that same for him. It is very heart-warming to see a couple so keen to help the other achieve their goals and dreams, support one another and just be so playful and fun. I am thrilled for them both and glad they found one another.
I also met up with my grandmothers’ chat room friend Helen and her older son Janos/John. They were wonderful, and showed me around Ashville where they are living temporarily until their other home is renovated. We then went back to their place for lunch and had a wonderful conversation about all sorts of things; politics, employment, wage comparisons, taxes, family life, transportation, and about life in general. We talked a lot about the differences between the two countries (Canada and Australia), the pros and cons of living in both and what their experiences have been since moving here from Hungary.

I am glad I had a chance to meet up with them as they were really great to talk with and completely down to earth. Helen even called me up a few hours after having departed to ask if I’d like to go to Manly beach with her younger son who would be happy to show me around and meet with me too. That was so nice of them. I would have gladly accepted but had several work related deadlines that I knew I had to finish the next day. Sadly, I had to politely decline, but told them they were welcome to be my guests any time they were to visit Canada and I hope that they one day do come out. My grandmother and in fact, the rest of my family too would get along super well with them I am sure.
Gosh my days are so packed with things to do I barely have time to keep up with this blog! Lol.
Tomorrow I fly to Mackay, Queensland, where I meet my friends Laurie Anne and Darryl. Laurie Anne is a fellow Canuck who moved to Australia two years ago. Darryl is Australian. I met him when he came to live in Canada with Laurie Anne originally. Theirs is also a lovely love story.
It will be really good to see them as it has been a while.


This is for my family! Attila was supposed to be the one doing the talking... but he didn't want to be the one to get in trouble! Ha!  (It's in Hungarian/Magyar)
I’ve been warned that this is serious bush country… no internet, a large croc on the loose, snakes and spiders and a whole whack of other creatures to be careful of. I’m already looking forward to it.
Good-bye city, helloooo country! Yeah! I’m ready to see the stars and hear the frogs again. Ever since I moved to New Brunswick, I’ve really come to enjoy listening to the sounds of nature all around me… it’s something I now find myself missing if I’m in a city for too long.
Cheers mateys!
Yvette


No comments: