Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Laughing clubs, perilous driving, Mahjong and silk duvets in China

Hello Everyone,
I'm in China!

First stop was Shanghai. My uncle's friend, Bela, picked me up from the airport. He was taking me back to Mandarin City which was a complex of apartments. I was renting one for the duration of my stay.  It was really amazing and close to all sorts of markets. He took me around to the major sights, the "New/Old Shanghai City," Xintiandi road (wicked night life area) the Bund, the old, and the older, traditional part of Shanghai where the buildings are built in a very traditional style

The next day, I went to see Yu Yuan garden. It was gorgeous.  It was built by a man who wanted to give his parents a lovely place in which to retire. Very traditional and beautiful Chinese oasis, fish ponds, all sorts of rooms and antique items.


I walked around many alleyways, old paths, and allowed myself to get "lost" while discovering nooks and crannies. There are a LOT of nooks, let me tell you! I even went to the spot where Mao had his fist meeting of the Communist Party! It felt eerie, my stomach felt vacant and I wasn't sure how to sum up that moment. So much history and relevance in that one spot, yet it was in such an inconspicuous corner with peeling paint, cracked clay shingles with a small plaque stating what this building (home) was famous for.

After spending several weeks of exploring Shanghai, I flew to Hong Kong to meet up with my martial arts group. In Hong Kong we checked out the skyline from the top point of a mountain which is supposed to be very famous just for this one purpose.

The bus driver drove quite perilously around the curves and bends of the road down the mountain. There were no fences or guard rails to keep the bus from plummeting us to our deaths should the driver make an error. Ah....best not to think of such things...hmmm...perhaps I should not send this e-mail to my family. lol.

Later that evening I went out to see the night markets and got quite lost on the many, many, little side streets. I finally found my way back to the hotel after only about 40 minutes of racking my brain for landmarks to look out for. Well worth the "wanderings" though.

Traditional tea offering for guests.

Local artisan showcasing his calligraphy.

Making silk duvets in a Shanghai factory.

The shore line of Hong Kong is quite beautiful, who would have thought HK has so many Islands. It's almost tropical, actually. The day after tomorrow we are taking the hydrofoil across the Island to Macau for a couple of days where the training begins. Tomorrow we have tai chi early in the morning in the park next to the hotel. That should make for a great start to the day.

Worshipers offering incense to appease the gods and ask for boons.
Damn that girl has a lot of incense sticks! She must need something baaaadddd.

Looks like my film ran out. That's right people... I also use film. I'm old-school that way.
Folks out on the water in Beijing, enjoying their Sunday on the water and in the parks. The folks in the parks were off in little groups, some doing tai chi, some were laughing clubs, some playing Mahjong, some playing traditional instruments like the erhu. (my favourite Chinese string instrument)

Then we are off the see a Buddha at one of the famous temples, and then the beach for some relaxing and swimming. I'm happy to report that my knee is holding up, and I have three strong men and a woman (who I train with) who have all offered their backs for me to travel on if I start to feel really sore. (For those that don't know, I flew out to China just a couple of weeks after my last knee surgery and it is still a bit testy.) Tomorrow, the hiking stick comes out though, my knee needs the break. Pride or no.

I am thinking of you all, enjoy your significant lack of humidity (in Canada, that is) - oh yeah, I have to say, after doing Bikram's yoga in a 45 degree heated and humid room, the weather here does not bug me at all. It's nice to have the balminess. 

Much peace, joy and power to All, Yvette


No comments: